Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Owls in Home Decor

Have you noticed how popular owls are? Home decor is no exception and I think the trend is here for a while. This white owl lamp from West Elm is full of rich texture that really is accented in white. Perfect for White Wednesday at Faded Charm.

Owls have always interested me, shown here in my pencil drawing, enjoy...

Even Target has a great contemporary style owl lamp.
White with a black lampshade, always so classic.

I love the etching style black line drawing reproduced on the border of these pillowcases. Must haves, from Urban Outfitters.

a little owl has even flown into my etsy shop, taking refuge under a branch...

Shades of Light offers a more country version of the owl lamp. Reminds me of vintage Bennington Pottery, love this one too...

I believe this creature will be seen in jewelry and home decor items for quite a while. They seem to me endearing, of course wise, retro and fun but they also represent flight, wonder and the best of nature.

ENJOY!

Images: West Elm, Brayton Homestead Interiors, Target, Urban Outfitters, Brayton Homestead Interiors/Brayton Cottage, Shades of Light.

11 comments:

@nne said...

owls ... a symbol of wisdom! it's always good to have them in or around your house! love, @nne

Blondie's Journal said...

The lamps are so cool! I love owls...in fact I just bought some owl ornaments for my tree!

XO,
Jane

Olive said...

I think it's all about those eyes. We have two great horned owls in our yard sometimes that live in the woods across the lane. They are magestic.

Patti's Artful Design said...

Hi Karen...owls are very popular right now. Remember the retro orange owls?! My Mom had a few of those....memories! Happy New Year!

agnesofgod said...

I am very glad owls are back in. I have always thought they are a majestic animal. i remeber the orange owls, Patti.

FrenchBlue said...

Owls are so cute for the home! They are modern and vintage all in one~
Love your post sweet Karen!
XO

Kathy said...

Oh I do love owls too. Makes me think of the tiny own in Out of Africa.
Love the expression on the one in the first photo!
Kathy

Sarah said...

Karen, owls seem to be very popular this year, and I think the trend began last year. I noticed more owl ornaments in the past two years for Christmas. My husband gave me a Courtly Check owl for the CC tree here. ;-)
Thanks for sharing this inspiration. ~ Sarah

Unknown said...

Gisele said," Didn't realize how great owl accents can be. The lamps are great! Especially like your little owl that just flew in to your homestead. He better watch out some one is going to trap him for their very own."

Rebecca said...

Hi Karen
I think God had a sense of humor when He created the owl, yet they are a powerful bird. They are haunting to listen to and can be so big they fill the night sky.
Years ago, I awoke at 2am to a foggy night filled with a haunting sound and it was such a strange sound I went down stairs and out to the back porch to listen to the alluring sound. I saw two horned owls perched high in some evergreens in my back yard. I watched them until they took flight over a foggy moon and they filled the sky... it was such an awesome moment I haven't forgotten. They have a mystical quality and that is probably why they have been associated with witchcraft, but they are a magnificent creature the Lord created.
Blessings
Rebecca

Rebecca said...

I really got into owls last fall-thanks for sharing!