Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Newport Mansion

A drive along Bellevue Avenue will afford you two things, a vista of the Atlantic Ocean and the famous Newport Mansions that call that view their backyard. Opulent yet a family home, Chateau Sur-Mer, is a magnificent Victorian mansion on Bellevue Avenue in Newport, Rhode Island that I toured over the weekend.

Built in 1852, featuring a slate mansard roof, a stone facade filled with William Morris wallpaper, silver, Chinese porcelain and paintings, I ask why have I not explored the mansions for years when they are only 40 miles away?
This picture is from a interior design company that reproduces William Morris fabrics and wallpapers, as photographs were not allowed I felt this best reflected the library, my favorite room. As Lisa commented, can you image the parties they must have hosted?

10 comments:

Caroline said...

I have not visited the mansions yet, I hope to get down there soon I've always wanted to take a tour. The only time I was in Newport it was pouring rain so, we didn't end up at the mansions.

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

Beautiful house! I would love to go on a tour of the interior:D

Tootsie said...

what a beautiful home!!!

Unknown said...

Don't you wish you could go back in time and be at all those fancy parties. They knew how to live it up in those days. Another beautiful picture. Enjoy your blog.

Unknown said...

So right Lisa, the parties they must have had I can only imagine. Looking at the platters and silver, etc, they must have been extravagant!

Embellished Bayou said...

Beautiful...reminds me of the Biltmore in Asheville, NC.

Gisele my Arbonne said...

Yes, the mansions are extravagant!! I so love that era of formal parties and feminine dresses.

Unknown said...

Thanks Embellished Bayou and Gisele. I would love to visit The Biltmore Estate, it's on my list and I love a formal party.

Millie said...

A lovely post Karen - it's given me a peek into beauty on the other side of the world without the air fare! Thank you for your kind get well soon message, I really appreciated it.
Millie ^_^

Jeanne said...

I love watching BBC movies showing the rich lifestyle of that era, like Edith Wharton's "The Buccaneers", and Jane Austin's "Sense and Sensibility" (actually any of the Austin books made into movies). The settings are eye candy - in stately (British) homes from this era, with parties, etc. Visiting historic homes comes alive to me when you try to envision the historical lifestyles that people experienced in the settings. Thank you for giving me new places to visit - some day.