Sunday, May 12, 2013

Lilacs Say Welcome to My Kitchen



Welcome back to my Federal kitchen at the homestead. Could not resist bringing lilacs from the year into the kitchen, albeit they make me sneeze!


Maybe you remember when I restored the kitchen fireplace wall
 to it's 1796 original look..


Under the wood that covered this and the rest of the kitchen walls
 lurked a beehive oven and opening for wood storage. 


Last post I mentioned that an old portrait of the Brayton Homestead hung over the living room mantle, now over the kitchen mantle. I love the barn board wood ceiling even though it is not authentic!


Baskets on the hearth keep linens handy...


Thanks for visiting 
from my kitchen to yours...

15 comments:

The Bashful Nest said...

Lilacs are my favorite spring flowers! They can fill a room with just the most beautiful scent! Love them. Hope you have a great week.
Michelle. thebashfulnest.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

so agree Michelle,lilacs are beautiful and smell fantastic, thanks

Anonymous said...

Lilacs were my late mom's favorite. You have such a cozy kitchen. Have a nice week, Karen.

Anonymous said...

The lilacs are so beautiful and I can almost smell them! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh My, having a fireplace in your kitchen is heaven for sure. Love your lilacs, so beautiful. Great pictures. Thanks so much for joining Inspire Me. Hugs,marty

SwedishCorner ~ DownUnder...Pernilla said...

Beautiful! Lilacs are one of my favourite flowers - perfect for the kitchen table... very inviting :) Greetings from Australia♥ ~Pernilla

Madonna/aka/Ms Lemon of Make Mine Lemon said...

In So. California you can grow lilacs, but they have no scent. I think that defeats the purpose. I was going to have you to take a sniff for me, but if they make you sneeze never mind.

Lovely, just lovely.

Kirby Carespodi said...

Can't grow them here...the soil is wrong, but we had a lilac festival where I grew up. I miss them.

Unknown said...

your comments make my day, thanks, I love reading that you are enjoying the posts...

Self Sagacity said...

I don't have any lilacs, I will have to see if I can find some now...They looked great in your photos. :-)

Nicole@nicole-southerncharm.com/ said...

I would love to have a fireplace in my kitchen! I a new follower from southern charm! I would love for you to check out my blog and follow me back! Nicole

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

One of my spring favorites!

Unknown said...

mine too Elizabeth- by far! thanks

Gisele my Arbonne said...

Love spring and the lilacs! lovely photos!!

Betsy said...

What a nice room to have lilacs, one of my favorites. I just wished they lasted longer. I guess if they did, we wouldn't enjoy them as much.
Betsy